With May being mental health month, it is the perfect time to check in with yourself to see how your mental health is faring. We often do not take the time to slow down and take an inventory of our own well-being until things start to take a major toll on our health. Let mental health awareness month be your cue to take a look at the mental health and wellness programs available to you in the Washington, D.C. area.
We are here for all your mental health needs at A Fresh Start Therapy. Our array of therapeutic services, along with a flexible schedule, can help you care for your mental health. Call us today at 844.957.3794 to learn about the services we offer to help support your mental wellness.
Celebrate Mental Health Month by Taking Care of Yourself
Whether or not you are a parent, you are likely to be taking care of others. Some of us care for aging parents, while others may be in a caregiver position at their place of work. When is the last time you did something to care for yourself? Looking out for others’ needs without providing for your own needs is a sure recipe for burnout. That is why mental health awareness month is so important. It is a time for everyone to check in with themselves to see what their mind and body need but have not been receiving.
Here are some tips for practicing good self-care to support your mental health:
- Focus on the positive – There will always be things in your life that you do not enjoy. Rather than ruminate on the things that bring you stress, try to take note of the blessings in your life. Practicing gratitude for even the little things in life can impact how you feel overall.
- Practice relaxation techniques such as meditation or breathing exercises – We often feel rushed around, so it can help to slow down and relax your mind and body.
- Exercise regularly – This is one of the best ways to relieve stress and boost your mood.
Treat Yourself to a Therapy Session During Mental Health Awareness Month
You do not have to experience a traumatic event to benefit from therapeutic services. We all have difficulties in our lives, and having someone to talk to can help lift the weight off your shoulders.
Here are some of the conditions that therapy can help you manage:
- Fatigue – Although this is a physical condition, the root cause is often related to stress and how you handle it. It could also be due to undiagnosed depression, so practice good self-care by setting up a therapy appointment.
- Anger – Unresolved anger can interfere with your quality of life. A therapist can help you work through your anger, so it does not take you over.
- Overwhelm – It is normal to become overwhelmed with our modern lifestyles, so talking with a therapist can help you slow down and regain a sense of control and confidence.
Anxiety, panic attacks, or agoraphobia – Therapy can help address distorted thoughts that create fear and anxiety in your life.
A Fresh Start Therapy: Your One-Stop Shop for Mental Health Treatment D.C.
When mental health month reminds you to take care of yourself, you can count on A Fresh Start Therapy to provide you with the therapeutic services you need in the Washington, D.C. area. Regardless of your situation, we have a program that can help you work through your issues. Cognitive-behavioral therapy, mindfulness-based cognitive therapy, anger management, and life coaching are just a few of our offerings to help support your mental health.