Anxiety can hit men and women at any time with what seems like no warning. But there are warning signs for all types of anxiety triggers that you can learn to recognize to avoid an anxiety attack. Understanding your anxiety triggers will allow you to get through the day confident in avoiding anxiety triggers.
At A Fresh Start Therapy, our mental health therapists will work with you to understand where your anxiety is coming from and help you build coping skills that you will use to avoid your anxiety triggers healthily and positively. We use a whole-person approach in treating anxiety and other mental health issues that focus on treating the client and not just the disease. If you or a loved one is struggling with anxiety, call 844.957.3794 today to speak with our caring staff about avoiding anxiety triggers.
General Anxiety Disorder (GAD) is a persistent and excessive worrying state about many things. Like finances, relationships, personal appearance, and social expectations. Symptoms of anxiety are similar to panic disorder, and the severity of the symptoms can vary wildly between clients.
Common symptoms of GAD include:
- Restlessness or feeling on edge
- Feeling fatigued
- Difficulty in concentrating or mind going blank
- Muscle tension
Panic attack triggers can be anything from a sound, smell, seeing a particular person, a certain time of year, or any number of things. This makes treating anxiety difficult as there is no one-size-fits-all type of cure. Anxiety is a mental health disease, and treatment for each client will depend on their unique situation.
At A Fresh Start Therapy, your treatment program will focus on helping you understand where your anxiety is coming from and how you can avoid your triggers before symptoms begin to manifest.
3 Tips for Avoiding Your Anxiety Triggers
Avoiding anxiety triggers take time, patients, and practice. You can do many things to avoid your triggers, like eating healthy, getting enough sleep each night, and keeping a positive mental attitude. Yet, even with living a healthy lifestyle, external triggers are still there. And you need as many healthy coping skills as it takes to avoid your anxiety triggers.
Here are three tips you can do when you feel your anxiety is growing.
- Deep breathing – Breathing exercises are a great way to calm yourself when you feel anxious. Find a quiet spot and breathe in for a count of 4, then breathe out for the same count. Do this for 20 – 30 seconds or until you feel yourself calming down. You can do this exercise anywhere and anytime you feel your anxiety growing.
- Counting to 10 – Counting is an easy way to take your focus off of your anxiety and give your racing mind something else to do than worry and panic. Combine counting with deep breathing exercises as a way to stop hyperventilating and slow your rapid heart rate.
- Talk to a friend or therapist – Sometimes, the best way to deal with your anxiety is by talking about it with a therapist or close friend or family member. The more you talk about your feelings with others, the more you will understand them and have an easier time avoiding future anxiety attacks.
When you feel your anxiety growing, step away from whatever situation you are in and give yourself time to process your emotions. If you can’t step away, you can still do these helpful tips wherever you are.
A Fresh Start Therapy Anxiety Triggers
At A Fresh Start Therapy, we will create an individualized anxiety treatment therapy program to help you confront the reasons behind your anxiety and help you develop healthy coping skills to stop letting your anxiety interrupt your life. If you or someone you love needs help understanding their anxiety and how to avoid anxiety triggers, call 844.957.3794 today to learn more about avoiding your anxiety triggers.