At some point in your life, you’ve probably experienced feelings you weren’t comfortable with, stress or anxiety over situations out of your control, or events that triggered trauma that needed to be dealt with. If this happened as an adult, you probably knew you needed to get professional help from a therapist to deal with your struggles. But kids aren’t fully developed yet, and they don’t always know what they need. As a parent, helping your child through the hardships and lessons of life is important, and one way you can do that is by helping them know when it’s time to talk to someone at A Fresh Start Therapy.
How Teen Therapy Can Help Provide Young Adults Treatment
Therapy is very beneficial for those that attend, including children. Therapy offers teens a safe place to discuss what they are feeling with someone they can really trust. This prevents them from holding it in or having the situation get worse. The benefits of behavioral therapy for children depend on the person and what they are going for, but in general, they include:
- Improved communication skills
- Feeling empowered
- Providing perspective about life
- Helping with making healthier choices
- Developing coping strategies
If your teen struggles with life in general, it can’t hurt to see a therapist, especially if they are willing. Skills learned in therapy are life-long and beneficial in every relationship and situation your child will encounter. If they are having an issue but aren’t comfortable talking about it with you, seeing a professional can help open those doors of communication.
How to Tell if Your Teen Would Benefit from Young Adult Therapy
While teens often struggle with stress, bullying, shame, dating drama, identity issues, and much more, it can be hard to know what’s normal and what’s not or are handling it healthily. Certain situations will increase the need for professional help. Here are some common reasons a teen might go to a therapist or a mental health and wellness program:
- Teen pregnancy or STDs
- Has trouble managing stress
- Is experiencing issues with gender identity
- Is a perfectionist or too hard on themselves
- A recent traumatic event
- Self-confidence issues
- Parental separation
- Loss of a loved one or friend
These kids may need reassurance from an adult other than their parents. Children often feel confused about life as they work through the stages of growing up. Here are some questions you can ask yourself when determining whether your child needs therapy:
- Are they avoiding situations they used to enjoy?
- Do they seem angry at their friends, or have they stopped hanging out with them?
- Has their behavior changed drastically?
- Is their school performance different?
- Are they getting in trouble more often?
- Are they at risk of hurting themselves or someone else?
- Have they expressed a desire to get help?
- Are they sleeping and eating well?
Some signs would indicate your child needs urgent help, where therapy should not be optional:
- Experiences excessive, ongoing sadness or anxiety
- Has difficulty with attention or memory that affects their schooling
- Cuts, burns, or hurts themselves regularly
- Is a danger to others around them
- Experiences thoughts of suicide
- Is dealing with unhealthy or dangerous habits
A Fresh Start Therapy Is Washington D.C.’s Teen Treatment Center of Choice
If you seek young adult therapy as part of your teen’s treatment plan, A Fresh Start Therapy is a smart choice. Our progressive behavioral, mental health, and therapeutic services in Washington, D.C., combine our principles of wholeness, growth, and productivity along with our traditional, proven counseling strategies to help your child overcome any mental health issues that might be bothering them.
Treatment options include:
- Anger management
- ADHD guidance
- Life coaching
- Play therapy
- Trauma therapy
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT)
We provide individualized attention in our warm, welcoming environment, evening and Saturday appointments, and coordinate with your providers to bring you the best care possible. Reach out to us today at 855-325-3909 or learn more about us online.